30th LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SERVICES MONTH IN NOVEMBER
October 29, 2020
October 28, 2020
THE Cultural Center of the Philippines joins the National Commission for Culture and the Arts, National Committee on Libraries and Information Services (NCCA-NCLIS) and National Library of the Philippines (NLP) in the celebration of the 30th Library and Information Services Month in November 2020.
By virtue of Presidential Proclamation No. 837 series of 1991, November is the Library and Information Services (LIS) month. The celebration focuses on engendering public awareness to the invaluable service that libraries and information centers render.
For Year 2020, the theme for the 30th commemoration is “LibREAL”, a portmanteau for the word Libraries and the acronym for Relate, Engage, Advocate, Lead.
The month-long activities, under the direction and auspices of the National Library of the Philippines (NLP) and the National Commission for Culture and the Arts - National Committee on Libraries and Information Services (NCCA-NCLIS), were designed to achieve the following objectives:
- Relate the libraries’ wide range of products and services made accessible, available and relevant to the emerging and unique needs of modern society. Through the libraries’ relentless efforts at reinventing itself especially in a technologically driven society, they become potent agents of change;
- Engage the communities and other stakeholders to generate interest about libraries and its services;
- Advocate the libraries’ role in attaining the sustainable development goals (SDGs) established in the United Nation 2030 Agenda and integrated into our Philippine Development Plan (PDP) 2017-2022; and,
- Lead in an environment conducive to innovation, empowerment, creativity, and intellectual freedom.
In the light of the celebration of the 30th Library and Information Services (LIS) Month, the NLP together with the NCCA-NCLIS launches the following contests:
- Digital Poster Making Contest - The digital poster making contest will serve as an avenue for amateur artists, senior high school or college students, to showcase their artistic prowess to a wider audience by getting a chance to have their work chosen as the official poster of the upcoming 30th LIS Month celebration in November 2020.
- Best Online Activities by LIS Associations - The Best Online Activities Contest aims to showcase the Library and Information Science Associations/Organizations ‘ activities as part of the LIS Month Celebration and to emphasize the diversity of different types of libraries.
- Share-A-Book: Book-Based Interactive Storytelling - The Share-A-Book Contest aims to provide an opportunity for children to develop a love for books and reading thereby enhancing their presentation and communication skills through storytelling.
- “MakiVlog na! LibREALang, may Papremyo pa!” - The Vlog Contest aims to create a powerful story around the theme “LibREAL Libraries Relate, Engage, Advocate, Lead” and will serve as the promotional video for libraries during the pandemic.
- BookFace Contest - The Contest aims to showcase the Filipinos’ creativity through the use of books as artistic objects; foster the love for reading and promote Philippines print collections.
- Cutest Photo in the Library - The Contest aims to showcase memorable moments at the library through photos and promote libraries in the Philippines
For details, visit the National Library of the Philippines website http://web.nlp.gov.ph/