17TH CINEMALAYA PHILIPPINE INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL: NAVIGATING CURRENTS
The country's biggest independent film festival streams on KTX in its 17th year!
Cultural Center of the Philippines
Cinemalaya Foundation, Inc.
August 6 – September 5, 2021
Streaming on KTX and CCP Vimeo Channel
For a decade and a half now, Cinemalaya has remained the vanguard in Philippine independent filmmaking: it has discovered new cinematic voices while building and developing a growing audience for independent cinema. Established in 2005, Cinemalaya continues to navigate the currents as it sails on to new depths, addressing the challenges of the present, and coming out stronger.
Following its online success last year, the 17th edition of the CINEMALAYA PHILIPPINE INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL continues to break the mould and expand the genres. It will still stream online due to health protocol restrictions but it will be made even bigger! Cinemalaya will be made available on KTX, our new streaming partner. This partnership promises to make Cinemalaya accessible to Filipinos here and everybody across the globe. This edition will feature 13 Short Films that will compete for the Balanghai trophy, an array of exhibitions of other award-winning films, and other exciting events. This year, we will also introduce the Cinemalaya Film Lab, a new mentorship program component that seeks to encourage, engage, and inspire new filmmakers, and ignite the spark for filmmaking in casual viewers.
SHORT FILMS IN COMPETITION
TOTAL RUNNING TIME: 1:38:55
- MASKI PAPANO by Che & Glenn (5:00)
- CROSSING by Marc Misa (7:44)
- KAWATAN SA SALOG by Ralph Velasco (18:36)
- AN SADIT NA PLANETA by Arjanmar Rebeta (13:22)
- LOOKING FOR RAFFLESIAS AND OTHER FLEETING THINGS by James Fajardo (20:00)
- OUT OF BODY by Enrico Po (14:53)
- ANG PAGDADALAGA NI LOLA MAYUMI by Shiri de Leon (20:00)
TOTAL RUNNING TIME: 1:37:64
- NAMNAMA EN LOLENG (GRANDMOTHER’S HOPE) by Jonnie Lyn Dasalla (5:00)
- KIDS ON FIRE by Kyle Nieva (19:00)
- BEAUTY QUEEN by Myra Aquino (17:59)
- ATE OG by Kevin Mayuga (16:58)
- THE DUST IN YOUR PLACE by David Olson (20:00)
- ANG NAWAWALANG PAGASA AT PANLASA by Kevin Ayson (19:47)
To know more about the festival sections and special features, click here.
Launch of Cinema Under the Stars (CCP-CUTS) - featuring “Tao Po” by Mae Paner
33rd Gawad CCP Para sa Alternatibong Pelikula at Video – considered the longest-running independent film competition of its kind in the ASEAN region; categories include Short Feature/Narrative, Experimental, Documentary and Animation
Cinemalaya Film Lab – a new addition to the festival program
Visions of Asia – screening of award-winning Asian and Netpac films
Indie-Nation – shorts and full-length films
Allied Festival Screening
Cinemalaya Retrospective – 2020 winners
Tribute to Director Mel Chonglo
Tribute to Director Nestor Torre
Digital Classics: Restored, Remastered
Talkback - Cinemalaya Campus
Cinemalaya x Kumu
Cinemalaya Awards Night